Saturday 29 November 2014

timed assessment - in the role of the makeup artist

makeup assessment as the artist



Before starting our makeup assessment we had five minutes preparation time , in that time I took into consideration health and safety, which involved washing hands tying long hair back and laying couchroll over top of the work station, due to lack of couchroll and for health and safety reasons I covered my work station with a clean towel.

I reverted back to my tutorial which my partner had written out for me and scanned through the list of equipment I needed for her design, once I had all the equipment I needed I began to lay it out neatly across my work station. I then took into consideration my mirror lights were on and my partners face chart and makeup tutorial was taped to the mirror.

I then took into consideration whether the chair my partner was sat in was at a suitable height in order for me to create her makeup design and also made sure before starting her makeup that she was wearing a cape in order to avoid any makeup from going onto her clothing.

After the five minutes preparation time was finished I then had an hour and ten minutes to create her design. Before starting my partners design I did ask if she was able to remove facial jewellery but was unable to do so. Firstly I began by cleansing my partners face, making sure all makeup was removed.

I then applied my Illamasqua primer to her face using my foundation brush in order to give the makeup a better base. I then applied my matte skin base foundation from illamasqua to the face starting from the centre of the face and blending the product out into the hairline onto the ears and the neck. Due to taking photographs from the side of my partners face I took into great consideration covering and blending the product into the neck thoroughly. I also took into consideration the application of the product around the eyes and the nose. Once the base was applied evenly to the face I then blended the product into the face by using my buffer brush in a circular motion. Once the product was buffed into the face I applied my illamasqua loose powder to the face to seal the makeup.



Next I began to apply colour to my partners eyes she requested a smokey eye for her Elizabethan look. Firstly to act as a base colour I applied a brown from my illamasqua neutral pallet to the eyelids and blended the colour into the eye using my rounded blending brush. Next to the socket area of the eyes I applied a black from the neutral illamasqua pallet and blended the colour into the eyes using the rounded blending brush, I carried on applying these two colours from the pallet to the eyes in order to create enough layers in order for the colours do have a good intensity. I then used a gold from the illamasqua pallet and blended the colour over the black eyeshadow. I then applied a cream from the neutral illamasqua pallet to the brow line and blended the colour into the brown using the rounded blending brush. Next I applied a soft brown and the gold from the same pallet underneath the eyes. Using the gel eyeliner I then applied colour over the lash line using my angled brush to bring the eyes out .

I then applied colour to the cheeks of my partners design she requested her blusher to be quite harsh on the circles of the cheeks in order for her deisng to look more Elizabethan therefore using youth red from my Kryolan blusher pallet I applied colour to the circles of the cheeks and blended the colour into a summer tan colour from the glamour glow pallet which was a light highlight which I used to bring out the cheekbones.


Next I began applying colour to the lips. My partner requested the colour of her lips to be a royal red colour so using a red lip liner I went round the outline of her lips this made it easier for me to apply the colour to the lips. I then used my red MAC lipstick which I mixed with the mixing medium solution and applied the colour to the lips using the angled brush.

Finally to complete my design using the gel eyeliner I brushed the colour slightly through the eyebrows to make them more fuller and to give them more shape. Using a disposable wand and a  white from my supracolour pallet I wiggled the colour through my partners lashes in order to make her design look Elizabethan. I found applying the colour to the eyelashes generally quite difficult due to when applying the colour to the lashes it ending up on the eyelid and underneath the eyes causing me to have to retouch the eye makeup and apply more colour onto the eyelids.

Makeup evaluation




During and throughout the assessment as the makeup artist, I felt I managed my partners design reasonably well due to practicing in the studio in my spare time. The things I felt I carried out successfully in order to make the design work was the application of the skin base colour, I felt it looked even and was blended in well and also the colour application to the eyes, I was happy with how I blended the colours together in order to bring out the eyes.
Applying colour to the lips was something I struggled with in previous lessons on my partners design  however during the assessment I felt I applied the product considerably well to the lips as it looked even.
The outcome of the photographs which were taken I was also satisfied with I felt the photographs highlighted the strengths of my makeup and also by using the white background for my images instead of black complimented the application of the makeup.
Even though I was satisfied overall with the outcome I felt I needed to manage my time better perhaps as towards the end of the assessment I began to run out of time causing me to begin to panic meaning the application of makeup started to become slightly messy, particularly when applying colour to the eyelashes due to the colour spreading onto the eyelids meaning I had to spend more time reapplying colour to the eyes, I feel this is something to improve on.


No comments:

Post a Comment