Saturday 11 October 2014

applying makeup

Applying foundation
During my first makeup technical lesson I learnt how to apply foundation to the face without it looking patchy or a different colour to the skin.
 Before starting to apply the foundation I had to cleanse tone and moisturise the skin taking note whether or not the model was allergic to these products.

I then used a spatuala to mix my illamasqua primer and two different cream base foundations which were FS38 and Alabaster  In order to create a foundation base which match my models skin tone, I then began adding the foundation to the face starting in the centre of the face and blending out into the hair line to android the makeup from becoming patchy or missing any areas on the face, when applying the makeup to the face I kept my brush constantly doing circular motions in order to make sure the foundation based was blended I well to the skin. When and applying the cream base foundations to the darker areas of the face such as the eyes and around the nose I used a smaller blending brush and kept working the brush backwards and forwards. When applying the cream base foundations to the skin I made sure the models head was lift up to avoid and creases, I then brushed the foundation up the neck and around the ears.

 Once I had applied the cream base foundation to my model I then added a 9D concealer around the eyes eyes and nose to decrease the amount of shading around these areas working the product into the skin with my blending brush.

 Once i finished applying the concealer to my models face I then used my Illamasqua loose powder which I added to the back of my hand first in order to make sure I didn't apply too much and then rolled the powder onto the face and dabbed around the eye areas this helped the makeup to set and not move.
Before I applied the cream base foundation concealer and powder

After applying the foundation concealer and powder due to working in a small group of three I only applied foundation concealer and powder to the 
left side of her face. Overall i thought the foundation i applied was even but i could have applied blended the foundation more around the eyes and the nose.

After applying the foundation to the models face, i felt i did a generally good first attempt, however speaking with Sue about how i applied the foundation she said the things i need to improve on is blending the foundation in around the nose and the eyes and also buffing the product more into the face.

During our makeup lesson we were and so taught which colours complimented the skin for example pinks compliment lighter skin and greens and long reds compliment darker skin.


Extreme Contouring

Extreme contouring comes from the anatomy of the face. When contouring the face you have to take into consideration what the convex areas of the face are which are usually the jawline and the cheekbones and what shadowed areas she there on the face which are usually under the chin.

Before trying to extreme contour we watch a demonstration on how to bring the convex areas of the face to life.firstly Kat applied an Illamasqua primer then a TV white supra colour to the forehead cheek bones nose and jaw line, she then used a matte colour eyeshadow to contour the convex areas. In order to make the contour contrast then sed a matte colour eyeshadow she then used a metallic highlighter to highlight around the eyes nose cheek bones and jaw line.


when extreme contouring I firstly applied Illamasqua primer to the face which helps the makeup you are applying to the face to work more smoothly into the face. I then used a TV white supra colour to highlight the convex areas of my face which were the cheek bones and the jaw line I then applied some colour to the nose and forehead. I then applied the white colour to under the eyes using a smaller blending brush. I then applied a minimal amount of the Colour to the ears and neck to make the look more full.

I then used a natural colour eyeshadow which was summer tan to the convex areas to act as a highlighter. I highlighted the cheek bones, under the jaw line ,forehead the side of the nose and around d the eyes to bring out the convex features.

In order to keep the makeup in place I applied the Illamasqua loose powder to the face by rolling it onto the face using my buffer brush.



I only experimented with extreme contouring on half of the face. 

I wasnt too keen in the contouring i created during my lesson i felt the use of colours did not compliment each other and i could have blended the colour in more.

After speaking with Kat about my first attempt at extreme contouring she explained i needed to choose too colours which would contrast eachother in order to stand out and highlight the convex areas of the face.

In my own time I tried extreme contouring on the whole of my face carrying out the same process but with a brighter colour in order to make the overall look stand out more
The conoturing i created in my own time i was more happier with than the one i created in lesson i felt the colours complimented each other and the colours were well blended together.


Applying foundation and contouring the face

I cleanse toner and moisturised my models skin before applying the foundation. I then applied illamasqua primer then began to apply an Alabaster foundation to my models skin which was the cream base foundation which matched her skin my model had freckles in order to hide them I had to apply lots of the foundation and blend it in well to the skin and using my foundation brush, blending brush and foundation brush. I then applied the foundation to the eyelids and underneath the eyes as well a around the nose and up the neck. I then used a light concealer to cover any blemishes or darker areas such as around the eyes and nose and blended the concealer well into the face .
Next I started to contour the face using a concealer from my camouflage pallet I chose a colour which was two shades darker than the cream base foundation and dotted it onto the cheek bones under the nose and forehead I then began to blend the colour into the skin using my finger and blending brush to create a contour look. I then applied a blusher which complimented the skin to the contour on the cheekbones and under the neck to create a shadow and to bring the face alive. Using a matte colour eye shadow I then used a light colour which was natural tan to act as a highlighter which I applied above the cheekbones the brow line and top of the forehead. I finally used my Illamasqua loose powder which I role onto the face in order to keep the makeup in place.

overall i thought my contouring looked okay but felt i needed to work more at the technique in order to become more confident with applying it on someone else.
After speaking to sue about my attempt on contouring the face, she mentioned that i needed to blend the product into the face in order to avoid evident colour change.


Practicing makeup looks 

I practiced my final make design on my model for my digital image photo shoot.  Overall I would say my makeup look is generally quite complimentary as I used two colours which contrast and compliment each other. 
Firstly I applied primer to the face to make my makeup look smoother. The I applied the Alabaster cream base foundation to the face and neck which matched my models skin well using a foundation brush I then used my smaller brush to blend the cream base foundation around the eyes and nose. I then started contouring the face using the shade D9 from my camouflage pallet I applied this to the cheekbones and temples I used my blending brush to blend the colour in well to the skin. Next I used a dark blusher from my pallet over top of the contour , under the neck and slightly on the forehead . I then used natural tan highlighter from my glamour glow pallet above the cheekbones centre of the forehead and the brow line . I then added a warm yellow colour to the eyes from my supra colour pallet this helped to bring the look together.

In order to make my makeup design look more complete I need to add a warm colour to the lips such as a gold or yellow and bring the eyes out by adding sharp black lines to the outline of the eyes and the crease in the eyelid.

overall i felt my time keeping wasnt too great during the lesson i spent too much time applying the foundation than on my final look.  Although I felt the colour choice complimented the skin .
When speaking to kat about my attempt to create my final look for my digital image shoot, she also mentioned my time keeping needed to be improved and that i needed to focus more on applying more colour to the features on the face rather than spending majority of my time applying and blending the foundation into the face.

Application to the eyes

When applying makeup to the eyes, the first thing to consider is what eye shape the model has this can be recognisable on an eye chart which shows a variety of different eye shapes and gives you tips on the best way to make the products compliment the eyes.

Before applying makeup to the eyes the first thing to do is make sure the model is not wearing contact lenses otherwise the powder will stick to the lenses. If the model happens to be wearing contact lenses, when applying the power to the eyes make sure a tissue Is placed underneath the eyelid to avoid any powder sticking to the lenses. I firstly applied primer to my models eyes to which makes applying the makeup softer.next I applied loose powder over top of the eyelids which helps secure the makeup and also underneath the eyes . By applying the loose powder underneath the eyes this avoids any powder which will fall from the eye lids to the cheeks to stop sticking to the face.  

Next I started to apply the colour to the eyes.i started with a pale cream colour from my I llamasqua pallet and began applying this to the eyelids.next I used a soft brown colour from my illamasqua pallet and applied the product to the lash line and socket line of the eye. I used my blending brushes to really work the product in well to the face.By stretching the models eyelid slightly upwards this really helped to blend the product in well to the eye, when carrying out this process in order to avoid making the makeup applied patchy hold a cotton pad in place on the area working on .

Once adding colour to the eyes it is optional to then add a 1960s style flick to the eyelid,  this can be carried out by making a paste out of water and eyeshadow preferably an eyeshadow from the supra colour pallet by Krylan. Brush off the loose powder underneath the eye and apply some tape in line with the top eyelid. Using the angled brush get as close to the lashes as possible and begin to draw a line across the lash lines. 

Once the flicks have been added to the eye, finally apply the mascara to the eye to tie the whole look together this can be done with a disposable mascara brush. When applying the product to the top lashes ask the model to look ahead and slowly wiggle the brush up through the lashes then ask the model to look down when wiggling the product down through the lashes . When applying the product to the lower lashes ask the model to look up and wiggle the product through the lashes.

My first attempt at applying colour to the eyes using lighter and softer brown shades .
Overall i felt my time keeping on applying makeup to the eyes wasnt great i feel i need to work more on application the the eyes in order to become more confident.
After speaking to Sue about my first attempt at applying and blending two colours into the eyes she explained the colours chosen were a good choice but needed to be blended more into the eyelid.

Application to the lips

Before applying any colour to the lips it is useful to add a small amount glossy products such as Karmex or Elizabeth Ardent 8 hour cream to the lips , then using a piece of tissue slightly blot the excess amount on the lips. When adding colour to the lips the things to consider are is the colour being used dark if so then a lip liner is needed to bring the lips alive. When using a lip liner slightly dot around the edge of the lips to give a template then start by joining the dots to give a sharper and nester outline of the lips. Next ask the client to stretch their lips and really start to work the product into the lips using an angled brush once applying the first coat of colour add some loose powder to the lips to make the product last longer . Finally add a second coat of colour with the same process as applying the first coat, by working the product into the lips using the angled brush.

My first attempt at applying colour to the lips using techniques from the lesson.
overall i thought the colour i applied to the lips complimented to the makeup, i feel generally quite confident applying makeup to the lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment